Resume / Curriculum Vitae of Paul D Simpson
EMC & HP Storage
IBM & Quantum Libraries
RedHat / CentOS Linux
3/2015 – 4/2016 <VAR / Solutions Provider> Scottsdale, Arizona
Storage & BRS Engineer
- Implementation of enterprise storage solutions for customers (SAN & NAS).
- Design & implementation of enterprise backup solutions for customers.
- Pre-Sales & Post-Sales Engineering.
- Perform data migrations for customers.
- Storage Area Network (SAN) design, implementation, and migrations.
- Frequent travel to customer sites throughout USA.
- Responsible for evaluating multiple project management platforms & ultimately choosing, implementing, and administering Basecamp.
- Train customer staff on use of new solutions and tools.
- Generate & provide comprehensive documentation of implementations to customers.
- Assist in training and mentoring new employees.
3/2011 – 3/2015 <WORLD'S LARGEST AIRLINE> Tempe, Arizona
Enterprise Backup & Recovery Services Lead Engineer / Service Owner
- Design and implement new backup and recovery / DR solutions in a multi-site, managed services and self-managed datacenter environment.
- Enhance / extend existing NetBackup 7.6 / DataDomain backup environment into disparate datacenters.
- Manage HP/EDS EBRS contract for American Airlines
- Manage Backup & Recovery Service within company
- Monitor adherence to SLA’s.
- Audit costs and services performed.
- Set chargeback costs based upon business needs.
- Inform internal business units of solutions offered.
- Attend vendor training and conferences (EMC World, EMC Forum, etc)
Lead UNIX, Backup, & Storage Systems Engineer / Architect
- Architect & implement global NetBackup 7.6 / DataDomain migration & DR plan.
- Tested & evaluated competing disk de-duplication backup appliances (IBM, HP, Quantum, DataDomain) over a 2 year period.
- Designed an all new NetBackup 7.6 infrastructure utilizing 17 individual DataDomain systems ranging from the DD160 to the DD7200, with DD-BOOST and one-many / many-one / one-one replication scenarios.
- Participated in and / or led design review & architecture meetings for new projects.
- Replaced aging disk systems & SAN infrastructure with new switches & enterprise-class disk arrays.
- Specified, built, & configured new Linux (RHEL 5, RHEL 6, RedHat AS 3, RedHat AS 4, CentOS 5, CentOS 6), and Windows servers.
- Implemented Dell/Quest Authentication Services for UNIX authentication via Active Directory
- Daily administration, installation, configuration, troubleshooting, & repair of:
- Linux & Solaris servers (users, configs, scripting, etc.)
- NetBackup Enterprise 5.1 & 6.5.5. environments
- SAN / NAS disk systems (NetApp, EMC VNX / VPLEX / Clariion / VMAX / DMX / CX, & HP)
- EMC RecoverPoint Appliances
- SAN switches (Brocade)
- Robotic Tape Libraries (ADIC / Quantum Scalar 24, Scalar 100, Scalar i2k, i40, i80, IBM TS-3500 & TS-3200)
- Cisco, HP, Fujitsu, Oracle/Sun server hardware
- Created a purpose-built disk de-duplication system using commodity hardware & open source software.
- Interface with equipment vendors to investigate new technologies, purchase new hardware.
- Tested & evaluated competing disk array systems (HP, Promise).
- Worked with Network group to determine dedicated backup network strategies & enhancements (transition to 10Gb Cisco Nexus environment) to resolve problems affecting production data flow and backup jobs.
- Participated in on-call rotation.
11/2008 – 12/2015 University of Phoenix Online Phoenix, Arizona
- Teach courses online (Currently certified for various courses)
5/1994 – 3/2011 <SEMICONDUCTOR MANUFACTURER> Chandler, Arizona
Senior UNIX Systems, Storage, & Backup Administrator / Operations
- Symantec / Veritas NetBackup Enterprise 6.5.5 administration in a 24/7 production environment, encompassing approx 100 UNIX clients, 300 Wintel clients, 7 Master Servers & 4 Media Servers, with miscellaneous Virtual Tape Libraries & LTO2/3 robots (Primarily Quantum/ADIC.& HP)
- Led worldwide testing & migration from NetBackup 6.0 to 6.0MP4 & to 6.5.5
- Administer and install / configure all worldwide (US & International) HP-UX 11.0, 11iv1-11iv3 servers.
- Performance tuning and monitoring of HP-UX production environment.
- Generate shell scripts as needed for admin and support (mostly POSIX, ksh, bash, some Perl)
- Administer HP EVA5000 / EVA8000 SAN storage systems.
- Design / architect new server environments for new and existing applications.
- Conduct systems analysis for global business units to determine needs.
- Manage & maintain the monitoring environment (OpenView / Nagios / Servers Alive / custom scripts).
- Install ‘off the shelf’ and custom software packages to servers (EDI, Baan, PeopleSoft, etc.)
- Interface with VAR’s & suppliers, obtain quotes, place orders.
- Manage multiple projects and implementations.
- Update, install, & configure departmental web servers (Apache & IIS).
- Assist disparate internal groups with administration of their computing environment
- Document existing and new installations & procedures & train Operations staff.
- Evaluate and install new server & storage (SAN, NAS) technologies.
- Some Windows Server & Linux administration duties
- Assist network group with installation & troubleshooting of network equipment.
Associate Engineer (Yield Systems & Database Administrator)
- Responsible for single-handedly making the department a ‘Paperless’ department. The first in the company to do so. Thereafter I assisted other departments in becoming ‘Paperless’.
- Implement use of KLA Klarity yield analysis software.
- Project management: evaluated, purchased, & implemented use of new KLA-2401 inspection systems.
- Administer KLA Viper RSS & iSupport IDM servers
- Administer departmental UNIX & Windows servers, desktop & laptop PC’s
- Backup UNIX servers using Legato Networker & HP Ignite.
- Generate KLA 2135/8, 2401, CRS, AIT2, & Tencor 7600 recipes to monitor in-line 6 & 8-inch product.
- Utilize Hitachi S7800 process evaluation SEM for defect review & CD measurement.
- Maintain & Administer Unix based Quest / UDB & Klarity defect databases and FabVARS 500..
- Analyze & interpret yield excursions, and conduct short loop experiments to find root causes.
- Conduct ISO-9001 & QS9000 internal audits
- Design, program, implement, & maintain Oracle, MS SQL, MS Access and Lotus Domino databases
for recipes, pass-downs, log sheets, and defect report information.
2004 – 3/2006 University of Phoenix Phoenix, Arizona
Master of Information Systems / Management - GPA: 3.72
- Earned a Master’s degree in Information Systems / Management
1999 - 2002 University of Phoenix Tempe, Arizona
Coursework for a BS in Information Technology - Cumulative GPA: 3.49
- Terminated BS program to pursue MS degree.
2001 - 2001 Mesa Community College Mesa, Arizona
UNIX System Administration on Solaris - Grade: 4.0
1997 - 1999 University of Phoenix Mesa, Arizona
BSB/Management - Cumulative GPA: 3.39
- Earned a Bachelor’s of Science in Business Management
1992 - 1996 Mesa Community College Mesa, Arizona
Coursework toward AAS degree
- Coursework in Sciences, Law, Business, Language.
Languages: English, German
Certification & Accreditations
- Nimble Installation & Operation Professional
- Nutanix Platform Sales Rep
- Nutanix Platform Sales Engineer
- Nutanix Platform Professional
- EMC SE - Converged Infrastructure VSPEX BLUE 2015
- EMC SE - Converged Infrastructure VSPEX 2015
- EMC SE Solution: Software Defined Storage 2015
- EMC SE Solution: The EMC Portfolio 2015
- EMC SE: Technologies 2015
- EMC VNX Implementation
- EMC DataDomain Implementation
- Symantec NetBackup Administrator
- ISO-9001 Internal Auditor – Microchip / QMS - 1997
- QS9000 Internal Auditor – Microchip / QMS – 1999
Vendor Training Courses
- HP-UX Systems & Network Administration / Adv Troubleshooting– Hewlett Packard, 2004
- OpenView Operations for UNIX, OVPI, OVOW, NNM – Hewlett-Packard, 2005/6
- HP Integrity Virtual Server Environment - Hewlett Packard, Online – 2007
- Symantec Veritas NetBackup 6 Windows Admin – Symantec, Phoenix, AZ – 2007
- HP POSIX Shell / gWLM, WLM, PRM – Hewlett-Packard, Online – 2007
- Perl Programming / HP-UX Security – Hewlett-Packard, Online – 2009
- Nimble Installation & Operations – Nimble Storage, 2014
Affiliations, Memberships & Volunteer Work
- Member of AZ Infragard (FBI Cybercrimes / corporate partnership)
- Director for Phoenix area Symantec Backup & Archiving User Group.
- Fundraising efforts for American Diabetes Association (Step Out & Tour DeCure)
- Camp Staff – Boy Scouts of America
- Previously Assistant Scoutmaster – Boy Scouts of America